There are some foods that make me nostalgic. There are those foods that reduce me to a state of euphoria. And then there is the Texas Toast Sloppy Joe. It doesn’t make me nostalgic or euphoric, it just makes me happy to be alive.
Huh? You must be asking yourself, “how can a toast be both messy and dry?” The answer is Texas Toast, this delicious slicked-up sloppy joe is the mother of messy toast! This hearty dish will have you coming back for more!
I first discovered Texas Toast Sloppy Joes two years ago and I think they are my favorite sloppy joe recipe ever. They are warm, and flavorful, and full of meat, and if you like messy sandwiches you’re going to want to make this for dinner soon! I’ve made them several times since finding the recipe but I haven’t shared it here until now! All the credit goes to my friend Taniya who is a brilliant food blogger and also knows how to share recipes.
Texas Toast Sloppy Joe
- 1 lb lean ground beef
- 1/4 cup chopped onion
- 1/2 tsp garlic powder
- 3/4 cup ketchup
- 2 tsp tomato paste
- 1/2 tsp Worcestershire sauce
- 2 1/2 tsp brown sugar
- Salt to taste
- Pepper to taste
- 4 Green Mill Texas Toast
- 1 oz shredded cheddar cheese
- Start preheating oven at 375 for your Texas Toast
- On stovetop, medium heat, brown your ground beef, and onion. Drain once browned.
- Add in ketchup, tomato paste, Worcestershire sauce, brown sugar, and salt and pepper. Stir well to combine all ingredients.
- Cook over medium heat until mixture has thickened to your liking
- While thickening the sauce place Green Mill Texas Toast into preheated oven.
- Bake toast 5-6 minutes until golden brown.
- Place your Sloppy Joe Mixture on top of your golden-brown Texas Toast
- Top with ¼ oz of Cheddar Cheese on each piece of toast.
Most of the ingredients are probably already in your kitchen. If not, they should be. It’s so easy to make and also very economical. It tastes great as a main dish or served over pasta or rice. You can use any kind of ground beef you like (ground chicken or turkey would also work well); we like to use spicy or Mexican seasoned ground beef for extra flavor. Have fun with your kids in the kitchen creating this one!