I’ll be the first to tell you that I was a little skeptical when I first tried banana pudding. The words “banana” and “pudding” never seem to make their way onto my grocery list. But when I finally tried it, I thought, why have I been depriving myself of banana pudding all these years?
Banana pudding is a ubiquitous Southern dessert. The creamy pudding, the crunch from the nuts, and soft marbled vanilla wafers all combine to make a flavor explosion in your mouth. But who said banana pudding has to be made from scratch? Who says you can’t eat something that looks homemade without actually making it yourself?
The Best Banana Pudding
- 1 pkg 5 ounce instant vanilla pudding mix
- 2 cups cold milk
- 1 can 14 ounce sweetened condensed milk
- 1 tablespoon vanilla extract
- 1 container 12 ounce frozen whipped topping, thawed
- 1 pkg 16 ounce vanilla wafers
- 14 bananas sliced
- In a large mixing bowl, beat pudding mix and milk 2 minutes.
- Blend in condensed milk until smooth. Stir in vanilla and fold in whipped topping.
- Layer wafers, bananas and pudding mixture in a glass serving bowl.
- Chill until serving.