- 1.5 inch piece of Rib Eye steak
- 1 tbspn butter
- Olive oil
- 2-3 garlic cloves with skin on
- Fresh herbs (thyme, rosemary, oregano, etc.)
- Sea salt
- Cracked black pepper
Let the steak come to room temperature.
Preheat the oven to 350F and your pan for 8-10 minutes.
Season the steak all over with salt and pepper.
Drizzle olive oil all over.
Put the steak in the pan and let it sit for 2 minutes. There should be a nice crust at this point. Turn it over.
Add butter and cook for another 2 minutes, basting the steak repeatedly.
Add garlic and fresh herbs on top and place the pan in the oven.
Cook for 2 minutes. Check every 2 minutes until you reach your desired temperature (rare, medium, etc.) Try the thumb test!
Take the pan out and set the steak to cool for about 5 minutes to seal in the juices before slicing.
– Use a cast iron pan. The hotter you can get it, the better.
– Lots of marbling = lots of flavor!
– Use course black pepper to avoid burning the steak.
– If you find that you have undercooked the steak, you can either pan fry it some more or put it back in the oven for another minute.