- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 cups sugar
- 1 cup water
- 1 cup (2 sticks) unsalted butter, melted
- 1/2 cup sour cream
- 2 large eggs, room temperature
- 1 1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1 teaspoon almond extract, optional
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 3/4 cup (1 1/2 sticks) unsalted butter, melted
- 1/3 cup whole milk
- 4 1/2-5 cups powdered sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon almond extract
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup sliced almonds, garnish
Preheat oven to 350º F and lightly grease a 13×18-inch cake pan with butter or non-stick spray.
In a medium bowl, whisk together dry ingredients (flour, baking soda, and salt).
In a separate, large bowl, stir together sugar, water, melted butter, sour cream, eggs, and vanilla and almond extracts until combined.
Gradually stir dry ingredients into wet ingredients until just incorporated, then pour the mixture into the greased cake pan.
Place pan in oven and bake for 18-21 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted in center comes out clean.
While the cake is baking, whisk together all frosting ingredients except for the sliced almonds until frosting is smooth and the desired consistency is reached.
Remove cake from oven and let cool 5 minutes, then pour icing over the cake and cover with sliced almonds. Let set, then slice into squares and enjoy.
Source: 12tomatoes & The Novice Chef Blog