- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 1/2 pound carrots, sliced
- 1 bay leaf
- 1/2 teaspoon fine sea salt
- 1 red onion, chopped
- 3 cloves garlic, finely chopped
- 1 tablespoon ground cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 2 (15-ounce) cans no-salt-added black beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 cup corn kernals, fresh or frozen and thawed
- 1 (14-ounce) can no-salt-added diced tomatoes, with their liquid
- 1 quart low-sodium vegetable broth
- Hot sauce to taste
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh cilantro, plus more for garnish
Heat oil in a large pot over medium heat. Add carrots, bay leaf and salt and cook until carrots are just tender, about 7 minutes.
Add onions and garlic and cook 5 minutes more. Add cumin, cinnamon, beans, corn, tomatoes and broth and bring to a boil.
Reduce heat and simmer for 10 minutes. Stir in hot sauce and cilantro. Ladle hot soup into bowls and garnish with more cilantro.
290 calories (70 from fat)
8g total fat
1g saturated fat
14 g dietary fiber