- 1 can (14½ oz) no-salt-added diced tomatoes
- 1 C jarred roasted red peppers, drained (or substitute fresh roasted red peppers; see tip)
- 1 C fat-free evaporated milk
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- ¼ tsp ground black pepper
- 2 Tbsp fresh basil, rinsed and chopped (or 2 tsp dried)
Combine tomatoes and red peppers in a blender or food processor. Puree until smooth.
Put tomato mixture in a medium saucepan, and bring to a boil over medium heat.
Add evaporated milk, garlic powder, and pepper. Return to a boil, and gently simmer for 5 minutes.
Add basil, and serve.
Optional step: Serve with whole-wheat croutons sprinkled on top (from Broccoli and Cheese).