I love bagels. Bagels in the morning, bagels in the evening. Just kidding. In a perfect world that would be the scenario. However, we all know how carbo-loaded bagels can be. Thus making it a once in a while treat. Breakfast bagel sandwich anyone? Recently, I saw a viral Delish video (who I credit this recipe too), on how to make a 3-ingredient bagel. Yes, a 3 ingredient bagel! If you haven’t heard of this recipe, keep reading, as it is life changing.
So what could possibly make a bagel with JUST 3 ingredients? Fat-free Greek Yogurt and self-rising flour! Oh, and you will need an egg for the egg wash, so it’s technically three ingredients, but even that is still limited. If you do not have self-rising flour on hand, don’t worry, you can make it yourself with the following ingredients and measurements:
- 1 cup flour
- 1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
How exciting is this? We all know that Greek yogurt is known for its probiotic-punch and protein-packed goodness. So get this, a protein-infused bagel that is good for your gut! SOLD!
Once you have created the mix, formed the bagels and topped them with the egg wash, you can be creative with the toppings, or if you prefer just keep them plain! I am not the biggest fan of plain bagels. Instead, I used the infamous Trader Joes’ Everything But The Bagel Seasoning for 3 of the bagels and went a little wild with the last one and topped it with cinnamon.
I am sure you could add whatever toppings you desire, but just be careful you do not burn them in the oven.
The only tricky part to making these 3 ingredient bagels is that the dough consistency is a lot stickier than your typical dough mixture (say pizza dough, etc.) The solve is to add flour on your working surface and continue to roll the mixture into the flour until the mix is no longer sticky.
I must admit, it took me a lot of kneading and flour to finally get it to the correct consistency. I created the self-rising flour with the above directions, but I am not sure if I bought the ready made stuff it would have worked a little better.
Regardless, don’t be afraid to add more flour if needed until you feel you’ve reached the desired texture. Despite the amount of flour I used, the bagels still taste great! Just don’t really over do it.
Throw these bad boys in the oven on 350 degrees for 27 minutes or until golden brown, slather with cream cheese or butter and enjoy!
3 Ingredient Bagel
- 1 cup non-fat greek yogurt strained
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 egg whisked for egg wash
- Trader Joes Everything But the Bagel seasoning for topping
- Ground Cinnamon for topping
- Add greek yogurt, all-purpose flour, baking powder, salt, in a bowl
- Knead until the texture become a dough-like consistency
- Add more flour if the texture is very sticky
- Remove mixture from bowl and form a ball-like shape, cutting into 3-4 pieces
- Roll each section of dough into a rope, then form a circle and pinch the ends together to form the bagel
- Add the bagels onto cookie sheet with parchment paper
- In a bowl, whisk one egg and brush egg wash on top of each bagel
- Season with your desired toppings
- Place in oven for 27 minutes on 350 degrees, or until golden brown and thoroughly cooked
- Remove, let bagels cool and enjoy!