Wondering what you can do with those over ripe bananas that the kids refuse to eat?? Why not make a cake. Not just any cake, but a Brown Butter Banana Sheet Cake. This is one of the most flavorful cakes I’ve ever made. In fact, if you’ve never had the pleasure of smelling or tasting brown butter, you are missing out on pure heaven.
This Brown Butter Banana Sheet Cake is moist, dense and very rich. This cake will be a show stopper for sure.
Brown Butter Banana Sheet Cake
- 1 1/2 C sugar
- 1 C light sour cream
- 1/4 C butter browned on the stove
- 3-4 ripe ripe bananas mashed
- 2 tsp vanilla
- 2 C flour
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 3/4 tsp salt
Browned Butter Frosting:
- 1/2 C butter browned on stove
- 4 C powdered sugar
- 1 1/2 tsp vanilla
- 3 Tbsp milk
- In a small sauce pan melt butter over medium high heat, watch carefully when it reaches a medium brown color turn off heat, whisk in 1 C powdered sugar at a time, adding milk as it thickens, then add in vanilla. Pour onto hot from the oven brownies and spread evenly. Cool and serve.
- In a small sauce pan, melt butter over medium high heat, watch carefully when it reaches a medium brown color turn off heat, let cool slightly.
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees, spray with cooking spray a 13x9 cake pan.
- Beat together first 3 ingredients, mix well. Add mashed bananas and vanilla, mix well.
- Add 1 cup flour at a time, then add baking soda, and salt, mix just until incorporated.
- Bake 18-20 minutes or until springs back with a light touch and golden brown.
- 5 minutes before the brownies are done make the frosting.