These broccoli and cheddar rice cakes are the perfect way to use up left over rice.
Although they are delicate, they are a hearty side dish. These cakes go perfectly will grilled chicken, steak or fish. You could even serve them with just a simple salad.
We eat a ton of rice and broccoli in my house, so it is a rare occasion that I have left overs of either. I was so excited to make these and include in my meal prep on Sunday. They made the perfect addition to our lunches this week.
Don’t be intimidated by the cooking process. If you firmly but gently press the rice down into patties and leave them alone for a good 3 minutes they will stick together perfectly. The cheese and panko help to create a crispy golden crust.
Cheddar Broccoli Rice Patties
- 2 cups rice cooked cooled
- 2 eggs
- 1 cup cheddar
- 1 cup broccoli par cooked
- 1/2 cup panko
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon Tony's creole seasoning
- In a medium bowl combine all ingredients.
- Over medium-low heat, heat 1 tsp of oil to a medium non-stick skillet.
- Depending on the size of skillet, add 2-3 1/3 C mounds of the rice mixture.
- Using the back of a non-stick spatula firmly press down on each rice mound. Shape outer areas to create a perfect circle if desired.
- Cook for 3-4 minutes, or until golden brown on each side.
- Serve warm.