- 1 1/2 pounds boneless, skinless chicken breast, trimmed and cut into 1-inch cubes
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 2 tablespoons canola oil, divided
- 10 ounces white mushrooms, quartered
- 1 large green bell pepper, diced
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
- 1 cup dry sherry
- 1 cup reduced-sodium chicken broth
- 1 cup low-fat milk
- 1 4-ounce jar sliced pimientos, rinsed
- 1/2 cup sliced scallions
1. Toss chicken and flour in a medium bowl until coated. Heat 1 tablespoon oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Reserving the remaining flour, add the chicken to the pan and cook, stirring occasionally, until lightly browned, 2 to 4 minutes. Transfer the chicken to a plate.
2. Reduce heat to medium and add the remaining 1 tablespoon oil to the pan. Add mushrooms, bell pepper, salt and pepper, and cook, stirring often, until the mushrooms are softened and starting to brown, 3 to 5 minutes. Pour in sherry; bring to a boil and cook, stirring to scrape up any browned bits, 3 minutes.
3. Whisk broth and milk into the reserved flour until smooth. Stir the mixture into the pan. Bring to a simmer, stirring often. Stir in pimientos and the chicken and return to a simmer. Reduce heat to maintain a gentle simmer and cook until the vegetables are tender and the chicken is cooked through, 5 to 7 minutes. Stir in scallions and serve immediately.
Makes 6 (1 Cup Servings)
Nutritional Info Per Serving: 271 calories; 8 g fat; 66 mg cholesterol; 15 g carbohydrates;
28 g protein; 1 g fiber; 401 mg sodium