Creamy Cucumber Salad brings to mind a small farmhouse in the deep South. It’s a dish that a mother would make using a recipe handed down from her mother, and her mother before that. It’s one of those dishes that will warm your body and soul with each bite. I’ve used this salad for years when we were in the heat of summer. It was always thought to be a “summer dish” because it was such a refreshing meal when it was hot outside.
This is the perfect dish for an evening dinner on the porch when there is a nice cool breeze in the air.
Makes : 6 servings
Creamy Cucumber Salad
- 4 large Cucumbers
- 1 medium Sweet Onion
- 1 cup Mayonnaise
- 1/2 cup White Sugar
- 1/4 cup White Vinegar
- Salt and Pepper to taste
- Wash, peel and thinly slice 4 large cucumbers. Use a Mandoline for uniformity.
- Thinly slice 1 medium sweet onion.
- Place the sliced cucumbers and onions in a ceramic, glass or plastic bowl that has a lid.
- In a small bowl combine mayonnaise, sugar and vinegar. Mix until smooth.
- Turn the mayonnaise mixture into the cucumber and onion mixture, combine well.
- Salt and pepper to taste.
- Cover with a lid, shake lightly.
- Allow to marinate in the refrigerator for a minimum of 6 hours (overnight works well).
- Refrigerate leftovers.