- 1 pound lean ground beef
- 1 teaspoon olive oil
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 (14½ oz) can diced tomatoes
- 2 (6 oz) cans tomato paste
- 1 (12 oz) can dark beer
- 1 ( 14 oz) can reduced-sodium beef broth
- 1 cup strong black coffee
- 1 cup water
- ½ cup brown sugar, packed
- 3 tablespoons chili sauce
- 1 tablespoon cumin
- 1 tablespoon unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1 teaspoon oregano
- ⅛ -¼ teaspoon ground red pepper (cayenne pepper)
- 2 (14½ oz) cans pinto beans, rinsed and drained
- 2 (14½ oz) cans kidney beans, rinsed and drained
1. In a large nonstick pot, add beef and cook until browned. Pour into a colander and drain fat in the sink. Blot with paper towels and set aside.
2. In the same pot, add 1 teaspoon oil and heat. Add onions and garlic and cook until brown.
3. Add back the drained beef. Stir in tomatoes, tomato paste, beer, broth, coffee, water, brown sugar, chili sauce, cumin, cocoa, oregano and ground red pepper. Bring up to a boil, then turn down to a simmer and cook uncovered for 1 hour.
4. Stir in all the beans and simmer for an additional ½ hour.
Makes 10 servings ( 1 cup for each serving)
for 1 cup serving