This is a great dish after Thanksgiving to use up that extra turkey! I like the turkey soup and turkey sandwiches etc…but this is something a bit different and just as easy. I also cook this during the month using chicken and since we have Thanksgiving over at my daughter’s house I NEVER have leftover turkey LOL…so here lately I use chicken.
The beauty about this recipe is you can tweak it out and add stuff to make it your own. There is so much else that could be added, like tomatoes & green chilies instead of just the green chilies but I am not a real fan of tomatoes. Also, using the filling of the Avocado Enchiladas is something I want to try. It would basically be the Avocado Enchiladas layered like a lasagna, but still debating on whether to add chicken or turkey to the mix. I haven’t tested this on the guinea pigs yet so that is something on the back burner.
This recipe makes a pretty big batch of Enchilada (9×13 pan), so thank goodness when I cooked this we had a few folks over to help eat this!!! When I make it for 3 I usually cut this recipe in half. Now remember, my guinea pigs are older folks, one of them can eat about 2 plates but me and the other will eat about 1/2 plate. It doesn’t sit like a ton of bricks on your stomach which is why I like it.
Hope you enjoy and adapt this to how you like it. It is a great base for many things. Let’s get to drippin!
- 2 tbsp of olive oil
- 1 lb chicken breast chopped to bite pieces or Turkey
- 2 tbs. butter
- 1 med. onion chopped
- 4-5 cups of mexican blend cheese
- 1 can of cream of celery
- 1 can of cream of chicken
- 1½ cups sour cream
- 1 can chopped green chilies drained
- small corn tortillas
- 1 tsp cumin
- 2 tsp salt
- ½ tsp pepper
- Brown chicken in a pan on 2 tbsp of oil. Season with cumin, salt and pepper. Set aside.
- Saute onion in butter.
- In a bowl combine cream of celery, cream of chicken, sour cream, green chilies and onion.
- Prepare the dish you will assemble the lasagna in by spraying it down or slathering it up 🙂
- At this point I put my meat, whether it is chicken or turkey in my chopper and dice it up. We don’t like bite size pieces of chicken or turkey, we like the small diced up meat. This is your choice on how you like it.
- Put ½ cup of cream mix on the bottom of the baking dish and spread.
- Place a row of tortillas.
- Add another row of cream mix.
- Add chicken or turkey.
- Cover this row with cheese.
- Repeat….add row of cream mix, place tortillas, add chicken, add cheese, repeat,
- You should be able to make 3-4 layers like this. Last layer doesn’t need chicken, just the last of the cheese. I try to have at least a cup of cheese on the top if I am doing a large 9 x 13 pan. The smaller version I just want to cover the top with cheese.
- Preheat the oven to 425 degrees and let it bake for about 20 minutes or until cheese is nice and melted and golden brown on top.