Chicken and Dumplings recipe is one of the most popular recipes, right after the chicken pot pie. The combination of chicken, a rich and flavorful liquid, with a flat dumpling is a great flavor combination that yields to hearty portions this is sure to please everyone.
Grandma's Chicken and Dumplings
- 1 Rotisserie Chicken
- 2 small cans of Pillsbury Buttermilk biscuits any except flaky
- 1 can Cream of Chicken Soup
- 1 32 oz box of chicken stock
- 1 1/2 cups of milk
- 1/2 tsp. poultry seasoning
- 1/2 tsp. black pepper
- 1/2 stick butter
- 1/4 cup flour
- 3/4 cup milk
- Remove all chicken from the bones and dice. Set chicken aside.
- Cut biscuits into 1/2″ pieces (roll each biscuit between your hands forming a long tube; then cut into half inch pieces.
- Set cut up biscuits on a cookie sheet and keep them separated. Place in refrigerator.
- In a large pot, combine chicken stock, cream of chicken soup and milk, whisking together until soup is dissolved. Add Poultry seasoning and black pepper.
- Bring to full boil and then add real butter; reducing the heat to medium so that the liquid continues to simmer not boil.
- When the butter has melted, start dropping the biscuits into the boiling liquid. Stir occasionally reducing heat to medium or low.
- Once all the biscuits have been added to the liquid, let them boil lightly as you prepare a thickener. To make a thickener, combine 1/4 cup of flour, 3/4 cup of milk; thoroughly stir together.
- Slowly add thickener to the liquid and biscuits stirring constantly. This will slightly thicken the liquid.
- Once liquid begins to thicken, add diced chicken. Let this mixture cook, covered, for approximately 20 minutes, stirring occasionally. When the biscuits are no longer doughy but firm, it is ready to be served.
- If you have leftover dough roll little balls and sprinkle with cinnamon and sugar. Bake for dessert!
Considering how simple is to make this chicken dumpling, it’s not surprising that it still popular today. Since it appeal to so many people, there is not something you want to mess up—so follow this recipe closely and you can’t go wrong!