- 3 tablespoons oil or butter
- 1 onion, diced
- 2 carrots, diced
- 2 stalks celery, diced
- 2 cloves garlic, chopped
- 1 teaspoon thyme, chopped
- 1/4 cup flour (or rice flour for gluten free)
- 2 cups ham broth or chicken broth
- 2 cups milk
- 1 1/2 pounds potatoes, diced small and optionally peeled
- 8 ounces ham, diced
- 1 cup corn
- salt and pepper to taste
Heat the oil in a large sauce pan over medium-high heat, add the onions, carrots and celery and cook until tender, about 8-10 minutes.
Mix in the garlic, thyme and flour and cook until the flour is lightly browned, about 2-3 minutes.
Slowly stir in the broth, deglazing the pan as you go, add the milk and potatoes, bring to a boil, reduce the heat and simmer until the potatoes are tender, about 10-12 minutes.
Add the ham and corn, cook until heated and season with salt and pepper.