- 4 tablespoons butter or margarine
- 1/2 of small onion, chopped
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 2/3 cup (5 fl.-oz. can) NESTLÉ® CARNATION® Evaporated Milk
- 12 ozs. smoked or baked ham, ground (2 cups)
- 1 tablespoon fresh parsley
- 1 tablespoon dry sherry
- 1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 3 large eggs, mixed with 1 tablespoon water
- 1 1/2 cups fine plain bread crumbs
- 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- Vegetable oil for deep frying
- 1 fresh lime, cut into wedges
Melt butter in large skillet on medium heat. Add onion; cook until soft. Add flour and mix with wire whisk. Gradually add evaporated milk. Cook over medium heat, stirring occasionally, until mixture comes just to a boil and is thick and creamy. Add ham, parsley, sherry, black pepper and nutmeg; mix well. Cook for 4 to 5 minutes on low heat. Taste; season with additional salt if desired.
Pour ham mixture into 8-inch-square baking pan. Cool in refrigerator for 30 to 45 minutes so that it will be easy to handle.
Beat eggs with water in a small mixing bowl until frothy. Combine bread crumbs and flour and place in a second bowl or plate.
Scoop out a heaping teaspoon of ham mixture from chilled pan, or divide mixture in pan by cutting it into thirds crosswise and in eights lengthwise. Shape into logs 1 1/2 inches long and 3/4-inch wide. Dip croquettes into eggs and roll in crumb mixture until evenly coated. Place croquettes on large jelly roll pan or baking sheet; cover with plastic wrap. Refrigerate for 30 minutes.
Heat oil in a deep fryer to 350° F. Fry croquettes for 2 minutes or until golden brown. Drain on paper towels. Place on serving platter. Squeeze lime wedges over croquettes and serve with extra wedges. Serve hot.
Serving Size: 1/24 of Recipe | Servings Per Recipe: 24 | Smartpoints: 6
Amount Per Serving
Total Fat: 13g
Saturated Fat: 3.5g
Dietary Fiber: 0g