Delicious little made-from-scratch pancake mini muffins with real maple syrup and sausage baked right in. Better make lots, they disappear fast!
Don’t let their small size fool you. These little pancakes are loaded with big flavor! Easy to make ahead, too.
I first made these pancake bites for the fellowship time that we have between church services, but I should have made a double batch because they were gone in no time!
I baked them the day before, stored them in the refrigerator overnight, then reheated them in the microwave, and put them in my Crockpot on “warm”. They tasted just like they were fresh out of the oven.
Check out the make-ahead tips in the recipe notes below to see how I did it. They would be a fantastic make-ahead breakfast or brunch dish.
They have plenty of maple flavor on their own, but a little extra syrup on the side to dunk is always a wonderful thing.
I used a lean pork sausage for this recipe, but turkey breakfast sausage would be equally as yummy. My two favorite brands are Jimmy Dean (pork) and Honeysuckle White (turkey). And they didn’t even have to pay me to say that, I like them that much.
Start by browning the sausage. Stir it frequently to break it up well, it incorporates into the batter better that way. Drain it and set it aside.
Next, whisk together the dry ingredients; the flour, baking powder, and baking soda.
Then, in a serperate bowl, beat together the wet ingredients; egg, maple syrup, milk, and melted butter.
Stir the wet ingredients into the dry ingredients until mostly smooth, a few small lumps are fine.
Then stir in the sausage.
Use a small cookie scoop to fill mini muffin cups that have been sprayed with cooking spray.
Bake the pancake bites for 10-12 minutes. Cool them in the pan for a couple of minutes.
Then move them to a cooling rack, but not for too long. These cuties are best served warm…
…with some extra maple syrup on the side.
By the way, please please please use real maple syrup! If you use that maple flavored corn syrup that they sell in plastic bottles, I can’t be responsible for the outcome. Just sayin’.
Maple-Sausage Pancake Bites
- 1 pound turkey breakfast sausage
- 1 cup all purpose flour
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1 large egg
- 1/4 cup real maple syrup
- 3/4 cup milk
- 1 tbsp butter melted
- Preheat oven to 400°. Spray 36 mini muffin cups with cooking spray.
- In a medium skillet over medium high heat, cook sausage, stirring constantly to crumble, until cooked through and no longer pink. Drain and set aside.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together flour, baking powder, and baking soda.
- In a small bowl, beat together egg, syrup, milk, and butter.
- Gently stir wet ingredients into dry ingredients until mostly smooth. A few small lumps are fine. Mix sausage into batter.
- Use small cookie scoop to fill mini muffin cups.
- Bake 10-12 minutes. Cool in pan 1-2 minutes.
- Serve warm with extra maple syrup on the side.