These were special occasion cookie when I was growing up. My mother use to make these for ladies gatherings and holidays.
She always made these Shortbread Cookies in a square shape. Unfortunately I don’t have a square shape cookie cutter (might have to change that of course). No matter what shape you make them they are always delicious and simple to make.
Leave them plain, dip half in your favorite frosting and use some sprinkles. Sandwich your favorite jam between two cookies.
So many different ways to enjoy these Shortbread Cookies.
Old Fashion, Shortbread Cookie
- 1 cup butter softened
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1/2 cup confectioners’ sugar
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup cornstarch
- 1/2 tsp salt
- In a large bowl cream butter and sugars until light and fluffy.
- In a separate bowl combine flour, cornstarch and salt.
- Gradually add the flour mixture to the cream mixture.
- Chill dough for 15 minutes. Roll into a 15x2x1 rectangle. Chill again for 20 minutes.
- Preheat oven to 325 degrees. Cut into 1/4 inch slices and place 2 inches apart on engrossed baking sheets. Prick with a fork.
- Bake for 10 to 12 minutes. Cool on wire rack.