- 1 pound lean ground beef
- 1¼ teaspoons salt
- ¼ teaspoon ground black pepper
- ½ cup chopped onion
- ½ cup chopped bell pepper
- 1 large egg
- 1 cup diced canned tomatoes with their juice
- ½ cup quick cooking oats
- ⅓ cup ketchup
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon yellow mustard
Place a rack in the center of the oven and preheat the oven to 375 F.
In a large bowl mix together all meatloaf ingredients well. Place the mixture into a 9×13-inch glass or ceramic baking dish and shape into a loaf.
Mix together the topping ingredients and spread over the loaf.
Bake until done, about 1 hour. Remove from the oven and let rest for 10 minutes before slicing.