With fragrant Asian seasonings and bright, fresh vegetables, this Sirloin Broccoli Stir-Fry makes a delicious meal sure to please everyone. Add in the brown rice to create a complete, heart-healthy meal featuring protein, vegetables, and whole grains.
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
- 1 tablespoon soy sauce (lowest sodium available)
- 1 teaspoon grated peeled gingerroot
- 1 medium garlic clove, minced
- 1 pound boneless sirloin steak, all visible fat discarded, cut crosswire into 1/4-inch strips, longer strips halved crosswise
- 1 cup uncooked instant brown rice
- 1 cup fat-free, low-sodium beef broth
- 2 tablespoons hoisin sauce (lowest sodium available)
- 1 teaspoon toasted sesame oil
- 1 teaspoon canola or corn oil
- 3 ounces broccoli florets, broken into bite-size pieces
- 1 medium yellow summer squash
- 4 medium green onions, thinly sliced
- 2 ounces red cabbage, shredded
- 1-2 tablespoons water (as needed)
Put the cornstarch in a medium bowl. Add the soy sauce, gingerroot, and garlic, whisking to dissolve the cornstarch. Add the beef, turning to coat. Cover and refrigerate for 10 minutes, turning occasionally.
Meanwhile, prepare the rice using the package directions, omitting the salt and margarine. Set aside.
In a small bowl, whisk together the broth, hoisin sauce, and sesame oil. Set aside.
In a large nonstick skillet or wok, heat the canola oil over medium-high heat, swirling to coat the bottom. Cook the beef mixture for 5 minutes, or until the beef is browned on the outside (it may be slightly pink in the center), stirring constantly. Transfer the beef mixture to a large plate.
In the same skillet, still over medium-high heat, stir together the remaining ingredients except the water. Cook for 2-3 minutes, or until the vegetables are tender-crisp, stirring constantly. If the mixture becomes too dry, stir in the water.
Return the beef mixture to the skillet. Pour in the broth mixture, stirring to combine. Cook for 1-2 minutes, or until the broth mixture thickens, stirring occasionally. Serve the stir-fry over rice.
Calories from Fat: 80
Total Fat: 9g
Saturated Fat: 2.5g
Trans Fat: 0.5g
Polyunsaturated Fat: 2g
Monounsaturated Fat: 4g
Total Carbohydrate: 47g
Dietary Fiber: 4g
3 starch, 4 lean meat