Cooking time : 4hours
Serves : 6 persons
- 5 medium zucchini
- 1 lb. ground turkey
- 1/4 lb. spicy Italian turkey sausage
- 1/3 C. whole wheat Italian seasoned breadcrumbs
- 1/4 C. grated Parmesan cheese
- 1 egg
- 4 T. fresh parsley, chopped, divided
- 2 T. fresh basil, chopped, divided
- 1 1/2 tsp. salt, divided
- freshly ground back pepper
- pinch red pepper flakes
- 2 cloves garlic, peeled and smashed
- 1 tsp. sugar
- 1 28-oz. can crushed tomatoes
- 1 14.5-oz. can diced tomatoes
In a large bowl, combine the ground turkey, sausage, breadcrumbs, and Parmesan. Mix in egg, two tablespoons of parsley, one tablespoon of basil, 1/2 –teaspoon salt, and a little bit of pepper.
Combine ingredients with your hands and form 20 meatballs. Transfer to a plate or bowl and set aside. In your crockpot, stir together tomatoes, garlic, sugar, and remaining spices.
Place the meatballs into the sauce and cook on low for four hours.
When the meatballs and sauce are almost done, thinly peel each zucchini with a julienne peeler to form long strips that resemble spaghetti noodles.
Transfer zucchini strips to a large skillet over medium heat and cook for seven minutes, stirring occasionally.
Serve meatballs and sauce over zucchini noodles immediately.