There’s nothing quite like a classic coleslaw to enhance the flavor of your favorite meals. Whether you’re enjoying a Sunday barbecue, a delicious burger, or a gourmet sandwich, a well-prepared slaw can take your culinary experiences to a new level. And when you want that extra dose of sweetness, our “Sweet Restaurant Slaw” is your ultimate choice.
In this blog post, we will dive deep into this delightful, tangy, and sweet coleslaw recipe that replicates the slaw served at popular fried chicken or fish restaurants. It’s easy, quick, and uses simple ingredients that you may already have in your pantry.
How to Prepare Sweet Restaurant Slaw
When it comes to preparing the Sweet Restaurant Slaw, simplicity is key. The whole process involves minimal cooking skills and just a handful of ingredients. The most important aspect of the process is ensuring that the dressing is blended well and the slaw is allowed to chill for at least two hours before serving. This step ensures that the flavors are fully absorbed by the vegetables, resulting in a rich, delicious slaw that will leave you and your guests wanting more.
Ingredients for Sweet Restaurant Slaw
Before we move on to the directions, let’s round up everything you need to prepare this slaw:
– 1 (16 ounce) bag coleslaw mix
– 2 tablespoons diced onion
– ⅔ cup creamy salad dressing (such as Miracle Whip™)
– ½ cup white sugar
– 3 tablespoons vegetable oil
– 1 tablespoon white vinegar
– ½ teaspoon poppy seeds
– ¼ teaspoon salt
Directions for Sweet Restaurant Slaw
Now that we have our ingredients ready, let’s dive into the step-by-step directions:
1. Begin by combining the coleslaw mix and diced onion in a large bowl.
2. In a separate medium bowl, whisk together the salad dressing, sugar, vegetable oil, vinegar, poppy seeds, and salt until they are fully blended.
3. Pour the dressing over the coleslaw mixture and toss everything together until the coleslaw is well-coated.
4. Allow the coleslaw to chill for at least 2 hours before serving. This gives the flavors time to meld together, resulting in a coleslaw that is perfectly tangy, sweet, and oh-so-delicious!
Can I use a different type of vinegar for the slaw?
While the recipe suggests white vinegar, you can experiment with other types like apple cider vinegar or white wine vinegar, depending on your personal preference.
How long can I store the Sweet Restaurant Slaw?
This coleslaw recipe stays fresh for up to three days if stored properly in an airtight container in the refrigerator.
Can I add other ingredients to the slaw?
Absolutely! Feel free to add in some shredded carrots or red cabbage for a pop of color, or perhaps some raisins or dried cranberries for added sweetness.
Can I use homemade salad dressing instead of store-bought?
Certainly! If you have a preferred homemade salad dressing recipe, feel free to use it. The creaminess and flavor of the dressing are key, so as long as your homemade version delivers on these fronts, it should work perfectly.
Can I use fresh cabbage instead of a bagged coleslaw mix?
Yes, you can. If you choose to use fresh cabbage, you’ll want about 8 cups of shredded cabbage, which equates to roughly one medium head of cabbage. For added color and crunch, mix in one shredded carrot.
What can I serve with this Sweet Restaurant Slaw?
This versatile slaw pairs well with a variety of dishes. It’s a classic accompaniment for BBQ pork or chicken sandwiches, burgers, and fried fish. It can also serve as a refreshing side for picnics and potlucks.
Can I make this slaw in advance?
Definitely! In fact, making this slaw a day in advance allows the flavors to meld together, creating an even tastier side dish. Just remember to keep it refrigerated.
What can I use as a substitute for poppy seeds?
If you don’t have poppy seeds on hand, you can simply omit them without significantly changing the taste. Alternatively, you can use sesame seeds or chia seeds as a substitute.
Is this Sweet Restaurant Slaw diet-friendly?
The recipe, as is, contains sugar and a creamy salad dressing, so it may not be suitable for all diets. However, you can modify the recipe to fit your dietary needs. For a lower sugar version, you can reduce the amount of sugar or use a sugar substitute. For a lighter version, opt for a low-fat or non-dairy salad dressing.
Sweet Restaurant Slaw
- 1 16 ounce bag coleslaw mix
- 2 tablespoons diced onion
- ⅔ cup creamy salad dressing such as Miracle Whip™
- ½ cup white sugar
- 3 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1 tablespoon white vinegar
- ½ teaspoon poppy seeds
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- Begin by combining the coleslaw mix and diced onion in a large bowl.
- In a separate medium bowl, whisk together the salad dressing, sugar, vegetable oil, vinegar, poppy seeds, and salt until they are fully blended.
- Pour the dressing over the coleslaw mixture and toss everything together until the coleslaw is well-coated.
- Allow the coleslaw to chill for at least 2 hours before serving. This gives the flavors time to meld together, resulting in a coleslaw that is perfectly tangy, sweet, and oh-so-delicious!