- 1 pound lean ground turkey
- 1 small yellow onion, peeled and diced
- 1 1/2 teaspoons kosher or sea salt
- 6 ounces dry whole grain pasta (broken spaghetti or macaroni), or 3 cups cooked
- 1 (16 ounce) jar salsa, no-sugar added
- 2 teaspoons chili powder
- 2 teaspoons cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- 1/4 cup freshly chopped cilantro, plus more for garnish
- 2 cups Mexican style shredded cheese, low-fat (optional cheddar)
Preheat oven to 375 degrees F.
In a large skillet over medium heat cook ground turkey and onion, breaking up turkey as it cooks. Once turkey is cooked and there’s no more pink color, drain and add to a large mixing bowl.
Bring a large pot of water to boil, add 1 teaspoon salt, then add pasta. Cook pasta just until al dente, drain.
Add to the meat and onions, chili powder, cumin, pepper, and cilantro, stir to combine. Add remaining ingredients and toss with a large spoon until combined. Spoon into a 9 x 13-inch casserole pan. Cover loosely with foil and bake for 30 minutes or until cheese is bubbly and casserole is heat through.
Yields: 12 servings
Total Fat: 17g
Saturated Fat: 9g
Trans Fat: 0g
SmartPoints value : 9