- 1 1/2 lb. beef chuck, cut into 2-inch pieces
- kosher salt
- Freshly ground black pepper
- extra-virgin olive oil
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 onion, diced
- 2 carrots, cut into half moons
- 2 tsp. fresh thyme leaves
- 8 oz. cremini mushrooms, cut into 1/4-inch slices
- 1/4 c. pearled barley
- 1 qt. low-sodium chicken stock
- 1 tbsp. soy sauce
- In a large mixing bowl, pat beef dry with paper towels. Season generously with salt and black pepper.
- Preheat a large cast iron skillet over high heat. Drizzle with olive oil and sear meat on all sides until golden brown with a crust, about 8 to 10 minutes. Transfer meat to the slow cooker. Reduce heat to medium and add garlic, onions, carrots, thyme, 1/2 tsp salt, 1/2 tsp black pepper; scrape the pan with a wooden spoon to loosen all browned meat bits and cook for about 3 to 4 minutes. If needed, add a splash of water to fully deglaze the pan; transfer to the slow cooker.
- Add mushrooms, barley, stock and soy sauce; cook on low for 8 hours. Meat should be very tender.
- Serve immediately.